top of page
Depression or ADHD: What to do if you think you've been wrongly diagnosed

As mentioned before, there are four major categories of depressive symptoms, one of which is related to cognitive functioning. Depression affects a person's thought patterns, as well as his or her concentration and short-term memory.

However, many children with attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) also experience depression due to the impact of symptoms on learning and work. In fact, people with ADHD are more likely to suffer from depression than the general population.

The concept of ADHD did not exist in previous generations, and many people with ADHD were not diagnosed even after they grew up. How do doctors make a diagnosis when a patient has both ADHD and depressive symptoms?

Case Study

"I had been suffering from a lack of concentration, which affected my work performance, and later developed symptoms of anxiety and depression. After seeing a doctor, I received the diagnosis of depression and was told that I was not handling my stress well. All I thought was that the cause of the depression was a lack of concentration, because my ability to work was affected, my confidence was getting lower and lower, and I was resistant to contact with others. But my doctor thought I was simply depressed and that lack of concentration was only one of the symptoms of depression. I have a different opinion with my doctor, what should I do?"

a chicken-or-egg-first question

To determine whether a patient has depression or ADHD, the timing of the ADHD symptoms is important. If a patient's symptoms of attention deficit were present as a child, the patient is more likely to have ADHD.

However, this is a bit difficult to determine in practice. In this case, the doctor may need to invite the patient's relatives to be present during the consultation to provide additional information, in order to make the diagnosis.

What should I do now that my doctor won't listen to me?

If you have a follow-up appointment at a public hospital, you can try asking your doctor to refer you to the adult ADHD clinic at the David Trench Rehabilitation Center. This clinic accepts suspected cases from all areas, but the waiting time is longer.

If you follow up at a private clinic, it's even easier: Just to change your doctor.

bottom of page